The error message “Configure Runtime for Language Server” usually appears in Visual Studio Code when the Java extension is unable to find a compatible Java Development Kit (JDK) installation on your system. To resolve this issue, you can follow these steps:
- Make sure that you have a JDK installed on your system. You can download the latest version of the JDK from the Oracle website.
- Open Visual Studio Code and navigate to the Java extension settings. You can do this by clicking on the gear icon in the bottom left corner of the screen and selecting “Extensions”. Then, search for “Java” in the extensions marketplace and select the “Java Extension Pack”.
- In the Java extension pack page, click on the “Gear” icon to open the extension settings. Then, scroll down to the “Java Home” section.
- Click on the “Edit in settings.json” link next to the “Java Home” setting.
- In the settings.json file, set the value of the “java.home” property to the path of your JDK installation. For example, on Windows, this might be “C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-17.0.1”.
- Save the changes to the settings.json file and restart Visual Studio Code.
After following these steps, the Java extension should be able to find the JDK installation on your system and the “Configure Runtime for Language Server” error should no longer appear.